[OM] Re: Neg scanner recs

Subject: [OM] Re: Neg scanner recs
From: <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 20:31:49 -0500
Barry,

Glad to see you're in the tall cotton.

I've mentioned that I expect to be in the market for a 120 scanner early
next year. Here's my take on the three or two options:

The Minolta Scan Multi is apparently capable of fine scans, but seems to be
out of production. Amazon has it listed as coming soon, at a price over $3k
(!). I also apparently suffers from Minolta's lifelong problems with service
and reliability. Out of box failures seem to be high.

The Nikon 9000 is about $2k. It makes fine scans, based on the results a
friend gets with his Xpan and 6x6 stuff. It is reputed to be durable, and
Nikon service is good. It usees led's, and depth of field is razor thin. The
Xpan stuff absolutely requires a glass carrier. Some have problems scanning
B&W.

Winsor is the first reliable comment about the Mikrotek I've seen. I
understand that it has a softer light source, and handles B&W better. I
don't know if it requires a glass carrier for Xpan, but that's a question
I'd like answered, Winsor. I also don't know about Microtek service,
although Polaroids was apparently quite good.

Living where I do I don't get any hand's on opportunities. I suspect you are
in the same problem,

Bill Pearce