[OM] Re: Neg scanner recs

Subject: [OM] Re: Neg scanner recs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 01:06:47 -0700
You may both want to consider the Canon 9950F. Although not quite up to
the level of a 4000+ dpi dedicated film scanner for 35mm, it is very
close and will scan 12 35mm slides at a crack or 30 frames in strips of
six. (I've got six of those sitting here right now, but not the
scanner.) It will also do all sorts of MF and 4x5 at the same high
resolution - if you can handle the file sizes.

The photo-i review has lost of good examples to show what it can do
<http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Menus/reviews_frame.htm>, look under Scanners.

Vincent also did a follow-up review of SilverFast when it became
available for the 9950F
<http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/software/Silverfast/page-1.htm>. I
suspect VueScan would also give the better results he got with
SilverFast for less money. The Canon software with my scanners isn't
really top notch at getting the best out of the film.

At around $350, it's WAY cheaper than MF film scanners and seems to do
the job.

If you want to know why I don't have one yet, I already have a 4000 dpi
35mm film scanner, even if it is a bit more labor intensive to use, and
only a few old MF and 4x5 pieces of film to scan someday. Maybe after I
recover from the new notebook computer and a non Oly lens.........

Moose