[OM] Re: Scratched negs

Subject: [OM] Re: Scratched negs
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 05:25:03 -0700 (PDT)
> That's what I thought.  I've seen scratches like that on negs
> that I've
> dropped and scraped along a rough surface.  But this is the
> most
> egregious scratching I've ever seen.

If it was near the beginning of the roll, I'd think that it
could have been caused by a hyperactive attempt at retreiving
the leader.  As a general rule, scratches caused by
"reloadables" go horizontally across the frame and will run most
of the length of the roll.

Sand particles trapped in the felt is the biggest concern I have
with 35mm cartridges. Before processing a roll of 35mm (either
reloadables or single-use) I carefully examine the opening to
see if anything is visibly lurking there. If it's clean I
retreive the leader, if not, I break the cartridge open.

With rare exception, C41 processing pulls the film back out
through the slot. Sometimes if the spindle is bent, or the
cartridge out-of-round, the film will bind and scratch as it's
being pulled out.

AG

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs