[OM] Re: New toy

Subject: [OM] Re: New toy
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:14:19 -0300
On 8/10/05, Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   I had exactly the same problems with Vuescan and my scanner (Canoscan
> 5000f). It worked vaguely okay as long as I didn't touch _any_ settings
> and carefully manually selected the area, but as soon as I tried to
> adjust anything it went to pieces -- same problems with the image being
> awful if the scanned area wasn't right, and the same noisy dark regions
> when it was.
>
>   in the end I just gave up on vuescan and went back to the Canon
> scanner for negatives. For flatbed, Vuescan is definitely quicker, but I
> never did get it to do negatives well enough to be worth the trouble.

With me I know it's a combination of factors. First of all, I just
downloaded a new version of Vuescan and didn't save my settings file
from the old version so everything's back to defaults. Then I'm also
dealing with a new scanner that's going to behave differently too.

I noticed a couple of suggested settings in the help file for batch
scanning so I'm going to give that a try and see how it works out. As
far as I can tell, the biggest problem is getting the selection area
right since that's conpletely messing up my white point. I think this
may also be partly what's causing the noise. I found that the scans
were all much brighter than they should be (I have dark brown hair and
a picture of me looked like I had dirty blonde hair), that's really
boosting up the shadows then and is making the noise very visible
(it's trying to pull out detail that's just not there).

May try slides tonight instead of negs since they'll be easier to
judge the colour on.

I definitely noticed a BIG speed improvement with Vuescan over using
Canon's software. Although I'm wondering how much of this is that with
Vuescan you can see what's happening as it scans whereas the Canon
software just gives you a progress bar.