[OM] Re: Solution for slow synch speed for OM2 with fill-in flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Solution for slow synch speed for OM2 with fill-in flash
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:21:41 +0200
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Wondered what people do with bright light where there are harsh
> shadows with OM-2.  Do neutral density filters work OK for this
> problem??  I usually only lug around the small T20 flash.  With
> 400 film at max speed of 1/60 there is not much leeway.  Thanks
> for any suggestions.

Bright light as main light, and a relatively weak
auxiliary light (what your T20 is), can only be dealt
with in two ways:
(1) Keep the main light ineffictive by using a short
exposure time. Sadly that does not work with our OM-2
since 1/60 sec still is way too long.
(2) Add more flash power, and I mean much more, to
support your light T20. Could be slaves, if TTL is not
required.

No actually both ways are no real solution.

Neutral filters would bring down exposure times,
but your little T20 will be darkened for the same
amount.

A foldable reflector may be useful. Depends on subject size,
and distance, and assistant holding it, and ...

Proper lighting ratio done with fill flash is a
theme good for book and workshops. See
<http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/jt024.htm>
for some first, good info. Don't be irritated by
the C*non logo. The tips are good for all ...

Andreas