[OM] Re: Is it safe to send unexposed film via U.S. Mail?

Subject: [OM] Re: Is it safe to send unexposed film via U.S. Mail?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:29:29 -0700 (PDT)
> I bought several rolls of Kodak Gold 100; seller sent them to
> me via Priority Mail.

Kodak Gold 100 is probably your safest x-ray bet. Unless there
are sprocket hole shadows, you'll be ok.  If in doubt, just
overexpose slightly.

> I've read allegations that the Postal Service zaps packages
> with the kiss of death bomb detecting ray.

Well, just today I had another chat with my friendly postmaster.
A huge percentage of USPS mail is carried in the holds passenger
airliners. This stuff is supposed to pass through the dreaded
luggage x-ray machine.  You know, the machine that ruins film in
your checked baggage?  Same one.  Unfortunately, Priority Mail
envelopes also transit this method.  Not sure about boxes.  The
kiss-o-death ray machine is supposed to whack biohazards.  On a
positive note, the mail should be sterilized enough to eat if
you need the fiber.

> Do any of you U.S. listees have any real time experience with
> receiving unexposed print film in the mail?  Any problems with
> the resulting prints?  I know AG said in a recent post that he
> received some exposed B&W that had some fogging.

Sure did. A listmember sent me another set of rolls using FedEx
that were pushed to ISO 800.  The FedEx rolls were perfect, the
USPS rolls (shot at ISO 400) showed substantial fogging in
comparison.  I also had some PanF+ sent to me about a month ago
which showed the effects of fogging in that the grain clumped in
a less than pleasing manner.

I may test a fogging restrainer in the developer on a control
roll of film.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com