[OM] Re: Scanning 101 question

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanning 101 question
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:45:51 -0700 (PDT)
> You will have to persevere to get the right effect from your
> scan, especially if your film is not available as an option in
> Vuescan.

I get my best scans from Vuescan if I turn ALL color correction,
brightness and profiles off.  Just scan as an image, changing
the scanner exposure as necessary to achieve a full-width
histogram and save as a 48-bit RBG tiff.

Then I open the file in an editor, invert and set the
black/white points. It doesn't take me long to jump right to a
16bit grayscale, as I like to apply a color filter during the
monochrome process to make certain things jump out. Working
curves before the monochrome conversion is problematic for me as
I see the colors and not the brightness.

If I do mess around with the curves first, it's with specific
colors to achieve certain goals.  For instance, the photo on my
homepage of Sunburst Lake, does a pretty slick conversion to BW
if I crank the saturation of the RED channel to obscene levels,
take the cyan and alter it to a deep blue.  Then convert to
monochrome selecting the RED filter.  If I've taken the green
channel and gaussan blurred it first, the result is a really
slick IR knockoff.

I hope to figure out how to get 12 stops of exposure latitude
out of my digital camera.

AG

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs