[OM] Re: Scanning 101 question

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanning 101 question
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:53:10 -0700 (PDT)
Chris wrote:
> As always, Ken, you make me want to go and try something out.
> This time it is my latest 120 film from Northumberland...

That's part of my goal in life.  To be enthusiastic enough about
something that others want to try whatever it is that I'm
enthusiastic about too.

Now, as an alternative to the scanner, you might want to
experiment with the following configuration.  Please try it and
improve on the process as I've not completely nailed it:

Take a softbox, turn it facing up, lay a sheet of very smooth
and watermark free paper or white plexiglass on it. Now lay your
negative on the paper/plexiglass.  Take your E-1 with 14-54 (or
50 macro) and fill the frame with the negative.  Shoot.  You'll
need to be using about F11-16 give or take, so exact focus point
and image flatness is somewhat forgivable.  Use RAW!

Now convert the raw file, while adjusting contrast and exposure
to achieve a maximized histogram (stretched right-left as much
as possible). Save file.

Open file in favorite editor, invert and process as normal.

Who wudda thunk that the E-1 would have made a good scanner?
Much faster too.

The beauty of this is that the film captures the extended
dynamic range of the scene in the toe/shoulder, while the entire
dynamic range of the negative is within the dynamic range of the
E-1's CCD.

This isn't a perfect solution, by any means, but I'm suprised at
how well it does.  It's marginal on 35mm, but larger formats do
pretty well.  Maybe others on the list can run with this and
improve on the technique.  It would give me another option with
the tons of 120 and 4x5 negs I have.

AG

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs