[OM] Re: New toy

Subject: [OM] Re: New toy
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 02:01:46 -0700
Andrew Dacey wrote:

>On 8/10/05, Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>  I had exactly the same problems with Vuescan and my scanner (Canoscan
>>5000f). It worked vaguely okay as long as I didn't touch _any_ settings
>>and carefully manually selected the area, but as soon as I tried to
>>adjust anything it went to pieces -- same problems with the image being
>>awful if the scanned area wasn't right, and the same noisy dark regions
>>when it was.

I don't know what settings you were using. Vuescan is a little like
running one of those mixing consoles like on AG's site. There are
adjustments for just about everything and one does have to learn. which
ones to use how and when. I've been using it for ages, even a little
with a 5000F, and haven't had the problems you mention. If you are
scannily manually the white point is off, you can correct it on the
Color Tab or simply drag it where you want on the Preview Histogram.

>>  in the end I just gave up on vuescan and went back to the Canon
>>scanner for negatives. For flatbed, Vuescan is definitely quicker, but I
>>never did get it to do negatives well enough to be worth the trouble.
>>

>With me I know it's a combination of factors. First of all, I just
>downloaded a new version of Vuescan and didn't save my settings file
>from the old version so everything's back to defaults. Then I'm also
>dealing with a new scanner that's going to behave differently too.

Yup, just upgraded before scanning a new roll, which is going on right
now. I usually remember to save vuescan.ini in a BU subdirectory, and
did this time.

>I noticed a couple of suggested settings in the help file for batch
>scanning so I'm going to give that a try and see how it works out. As
>far as I can tell, the biggest problem is getting the selection area
>right since that's conpletely messing up my white point.

Have you tried Auto Crop setting? When batch scanning shots with the
same lighting, you both same time and avoid the problems you are talking
about by getting the preview of the first one right and setting the Lock
Exposure box on the Input Tab.

>I think this
>may also be partly what's causing the noise. I found that the scans
>were all much brighter than they should be (I have dark brown hair and
>a picture of me looked like I had dirty blonde hair), that's really
>boosting up the shadows then and is making the noise very visible
>(it's trying to pull out detail that's just not there).
>
>May try slides tonight instead of negs since they'll be easier to
>judge the colour on.
>
>I definitely noticed a BIG speed improvement with Vuescan over using
>Canon's software. Although I'm wondering how much of this is that with
>Vuescan you can see what's happening as it scans whereas the Canon
>software just gives you a progress bar.

Speed in batch scanning depends a lot on following Ed's suggestions and
being aware how output settings affect speed. If you set RAW output, the
file is wirtten as the scan progresses, as there is no processing
involved. If you set TIFF and/or JPEG, writting the output file takes
some time. Setting TIFF compression on makes the output process slower
and doesn't usefully decrease file size in my experience. It also makes
reading the files into PS slower. Both the amount of compression and the
amount of downsampling affest the speed of writing JPEGs.

If I'm going to be hanging around while scanning, I usually just scan to
RAW. Once all the film has been scanned, I can put it away. I then do
the "scans" from disk to TIFF and JPEG as a batch which can run in
background while I do other stuff or while I'm away from the computer.
That way if I do mess up exposure/histogram, or whatever, I can go back
and correct it without physically scanning the film again.

With the FS4000, I also don't do dust removal until the second stage,
again to save time during the partly hands on phase. This does make the
RAW files bigger. In theory, I can dispose of them after I make sure the
TIFFs are ok, but I haven't done that yet. With the 9950F, It might make
more sense to scan and write all the files in one process, as so many
can be done at once without haveing to be there to feed the scanner.

Moose

Moose