[OM] Re: Well, that's that, then....

Subject: [OM] Re: Well, that's that, then....
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 07:09:00 -0400
I've seen a friend's two microdrives both fail in the past year.  One
was a relatively new (2 yrs old?) 1 GB drive that was sent off to a data
recovery service to recover the images.  They recovered all of the
images and the drive came back operational.  Not sure what they did but
it had been beyond any CF card or other disk data recovery utilities we
had available to us.  Anyhow, although the drive works the owner refuses
to use it anymore.

The other failure was a relatively ancient 370 MB drive.  We were on a
long shoot together and I borrowed the drive from him after using up all
three of my CF cards.  I took about 20 shots on that card and
successfully downloaded the images.  The next time the card was plugged
into the camera or any other reading device it was esentially dead.  You
could hear the disk spinning up but no camera or other reading device
would recognize that there was anything plugged into the CF slot.

I'll continue to put my trust in the all solid state devices none of
which have failed... yet.  For CF cards I have Lexar 40X and SanDisk
Ultra II and I am partial to the Ultra II on the basis of
price/performance... a bit slower than the fastest available but not
premium priced.  The Ultra II's are very much faster than the Lexar 40X.

See Rob Galbraith's CF card performance database:
<http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007>

Chuck Norcutt