[OM] Re: New toy

Subject: [OM] Re: New toy
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:46:05 -0300
On 8/13/05, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't know what settings you were using. Vuescan is a little like
> running one of those mixing consoles like on AG's site. There are
> adjustments for just about everything and one does have to learn. which
> ones to use how and when. I've been using it for ages, even a little
> with a 5000F, and haven't had the problems you mention. If you are
> scannily manually the white point is off, you can correct it on the
> Color Tab or simply drag it where you want on the Preview Histogram.

Well you had a combination of my text and Dan's there. I've used
Vuescan for some time with my Canon FS2710 and was really happy with
the results so now it's just a matter of tweaking the settings in
Vuescan for the 9950F. I'll try the histogram next. It seemed to do a
much better job with a slide than colour neg film so that's some
progress. But I hadn't scanned much colour neg film before so that
could be why I'm having more problems with it.

> Yup, just upgraded before scanning a new roll, which is going on right
> now. I usually remember to save vuescan.ini in a BU subdirectory, and
> did this time.

Yes. Fortunately I do have my old system still kicking around too so
I'm going to check out what settings I was using on it.

> Have you tried Auto Crop setting? When batch scanning shots with the
> same lighting, you both same time and avoid the problems you are talking
> about by getting the preview of the first one right and setting the Lock
> Exposure box on the Input Tab.

I tried the auto crop but it didn't do a very good job. I think that
Vuescan needs to know the dimensions of the film holder to get an
accurate auto crop for batch scanning and Ed may not have that
information for the 9950F where it's a newer scanner.

> Speed in batch scanning depends a lot on following Ed's suggestions and
> being aware how output settings affect speed. If you set RAW output, the
> file is wirtten as the scan progresses, as there is no processing
> involved. If you set TIFF and/or JPEG, writting the output file takes
> some time. Setting TIFF compression on makes the output process slower
> and doesn't usefully decrease file size in my experience. It also makes
> reading the files into PS slower. Both the amount of compression and the
> amount of downsampling affest the speed of writing JPEGs.

Yes. I think you had it backwards though, I was saying Vuescan was
much faster than Scangear. However, I have 1 theory that may explain a
few things. The scanner's resolution is listed as 4800x9600ppi. I
suspect that the Canon software is scanning at this full resolution
and then downsampling the image to 4800x4800ppi. I think that Vuescan
is only doing 4800x4800 with no downsampling. That would explain the
slower speed but also why I'm seeing less noise in the Canon images.

> If I'm going to be hanging around while scanning, I usually just scan to
> RAW. Once all the film has been scanned, I can put it away. I then do
> the "scans" from disk to TIFF and JPEG as a batch which can run in
> background while I do other stuff or while I'm away from the computer.
> That way if I do mess up exposure/histogram, or whatever, I can go back
> and correct it without physically scanning the film again.

I may start going this route depending on how much progress I make
with playing with the settings. If I'm stuck for awhile then I may
start doing raw scans so I can then play with those files for much
longer without having to rescan.

Something that just occurred to me is that I wonder if it's possible
to do a raw scan the entire film holder (30 frames in the case of 35mm
strips) and then split up the file later. I'm not sure if there would
be any time savings in this or not. Or if there would be a negative
impact on the quality. Both Vuescan and Scangear scan each image
individually.

Fortunately it's a rainy day today so I'm cooped up inside without
anything better to do than to spend time tweaking scanner settings.