[OM] Scanner progress

Subject: [OM] Scanner progress
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:21:11 -0300
I'm making progress with the 9950F in Vuescan. I'm still not 100%
happy with the results but I'm starting to get better results.

A major trick I've learnt has been to use "lock film base color" (on
the input tab). What I do is look at the preview showing the whole
film holder and select "pixel color" on the color tab. Since I'm
dealing with negs I look for the image with the most blocked up
blacks. I select that frame and choose "lock film base color". This
sets me up so that I don't block up the blacks on all of my shots.

I'm still having problems with the brightness but I'm finding that at
least using the above technique I get a scan that's not blocked up at
all on either end of the histogram, using 48-bit colour I can stretch
this out and still get continuous tone.

I'm a little disappointed that the scans are needing a lot of work
once I bring them into photoshop but I'm happy that at least I'm
getting files that have tons of headroom for correcting them.

I've realised one thing that might explain the brightness problem
though. The film I'm using is Fuji NPS which I had rated at 100
(instead of 160). Vuescan has a film selection for NPS but that would
be for it rated at 160 I imagine so that could explain why my shots
are looking so bright, they're 2/3 of a stop over-exposed as far as
Vuescan's film selection is concerned. The generic film selection gets
the brightness closer (but still washed out) but the colour isn't as
good. So my next test is going to be to see if setting the brightness
to 0.66 to see if that gets me closer.

Or I may just have to get used to the idea of doing most of the work
post-scan in PS.