[OM] Re: Graphics viewers?

Subject: [OM] Re: Graphics viewers?
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:58:20 -0700

On Aug 13, 2005, at 4:45 PM, Moose wrote:

> Interesting question. I was just about to post about an extention
> to XP
> SP2. MS calls it a "PowerToy"
> <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/
> prophoto/raw.mspx>.

That's pretty interesting. Picasa actually seems to be *really* fast
and stable on my system (thanks Tom), but I may try this just for the
hell of it.

> I used my 6 year old, tiny notebook for this with the
> old 2mp camera, but it chokes on the RAW files from the 300D. Well, I
> guess a 300mz processor and 128mb of memory just doesn't cut it for
> much
> anymore.

My Powerbook is a 1 GHz machine with 512 Mb of memory. When I was
using my 3 Mp digi it worked like a charm, but now my 5 Mp digi seems
to choke it. It works, but there's a stall before calling up each
image and sometimes I get the spinning beach ball. This stuff is way
more bandwidth-intensive than a lot of people seem to realize. Same
thing with editing my DV stuff. A lot of my friends from school
claimed that my Dual 1 GHz machine should be fine editing HD content
by proxy. Well, it will do the job. It renders a MiniDV-resolution
proxy that you edit and then it conforms the HD material. I try to do
it a scene at a time because I'm afraid to give it too much to chew
on at once. Even then it doesn't like it. It will grind away for 20
or 30 hours sometimes and slow down almost to a halt from time to
time. It always seems to me that we're kind of jumping ahead of
what's really practical in the search for what's possible.