[OM] Re: Back up your data.

Subject: [OM] Re: Back up your data.
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 21:40:04 -0700
Thanks. I think a lot of it may still be on my other machines and I
have backed some of it up to DVD. It's just so soul-crushing to
realize your hardware has completely hosed you.

See, that's something film has over digital in spades. Cutting by
hand at school was frustrating sometimes, but we were using
razorblades, tape and clothespins. There was nothing to crash. There
were no decisions to make about resolutions or aspect ratios or
encoding bitrates or compression. No trims to lose...if you wanted to
review the trims you looked in the bags hanging under the film racks
where all that stuff falls. You just cut the film up into scenes and
clothepinned it up on the racks with post-it notes to identify each
clip. None of this, "It's all GONE!" stuff.

I think the biggest thing I lost was a series of scenes I'd been
working on in After Effects that were essentially scrolls across
pages of documentation and pushing in on photos and stuff like that.
I'm not going to pay someone to try to retrieve it because the files
are so big they're pretty much bound to be corrupt.