[OM] Re: Sigma 14mm F3.5 Fisheye?

Subject: [OM] Re: Sigma 14mm F3.5 Fisheye?
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:43:11 -0300
On 8/13/05, Ali <oly-zooko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I assumed a FISHEYE is always a lens that distorts? Otherwise...its
> nothing but a wide angle?! I guess I am interested in the funky circular
> image created by a FISHEYE lens - rather than a really wide angle. Is
> there any advantage or dis-advantage of this lens vs. a 8mm? Dont the
> 16mm Peleng Russian jobbers creat distorted images? Are those considered
> "full frame"?
>
> Thanks for the info.

I believe the definition of a fisheye is a lens that gives a 180
degree field of view. The "full-frame" fisheyes (usually 15mm or 16mm
for 35mm film) get 180 degree field of view along the diagonal of the
frame. A "circular" fisheye creates a circular image in the frame (it
doesn't fill the entire frame) with a 180 degree field of view all
around the circle.