[OM] Re: **SPAM** Re: Back up your data.

Subject: [OM] Re: **SPAM** Re: Back up your data.
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:53:04 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Troy" <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2005 9:06 AM
Subject: **SPAM** [OM] Re: Back up your data.

> At 09:41 AM 8/14/2005 +0200, Peter Leyssens wrote:
>>
>>Back up, back up, back up, preferably on two separate external drives.
>>Then, copy your backups to your hard drive from time to time, format the
>>external drive and copy it back.
>

> The current issue of PC World has a review article on external hard drives
> that back up your PC with the touch of one button.  I have the Western
> Digital which also functions as a multi-card reader.  With one of these,
> which are quite easy to use, there's no excuse for not backing up your
> computer on a regular basis.
>
> Steve Troy

I use a product called Syncback, which I really like.  I have my machines
'back each other up'.....our family media server has lots and lots of
storage and all the machines in the house automatically back themselves up
every night.  Important files (like all my photos), also get backed up to an
external HD local to the machine.

>From my experience, I'll never use another Maxtor hard drive again.  Your
LaCie might have had one inside.  They're very susceptible to heat problems
and can't stand being in an external case -- even when they are sold as
Maxtor external drives.

This is particularly true if you use them hard -- such as with video.  My
media server is our 'tivo', and I have 5 tuner cards -- one driving the
cable box and four with regular TV.  At 2GB per hour, the drives work hard.

Tom