[OM] Re: Good quality 3rd party lenses!

Subject: [OM] Re: Good quality 3rd party lenses!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:09:49 -0700
Multipasser wrote:

>Is there a website that contains a very good up to date list of all the good
>3rd party lenses for the OM system?
>I mean you can buy loads on ebay but how good or bad are they really?
>
>Especcially the expensive Zuiko's like the 16mm, 8mm, 20mm, 24mm ect. I bet
>there are very good replacements, maybe better, for less money?

As Bill Barber has pointed out, there are a number of excellent
alternatives for macro and tele, esp. zooms. In WA primes shorter than
35 mm, the choices mostly become between Zuikos and something which may
be cheaper, but doesn't perform as well. The only exceptions I can think
of off hand are the Kiron 28/2 and the Tamron 28/2.5. There is a current
19-35mm zoom sold as Vivitar Series 1, Phoenix and Exacta (and ??). It
is not the equivalent of the Zuiko primes, mostly in linear distortion,
but is an excellent lens overall, and cheap. In a light travel kit, I
take it in preference to a set of Zuikos.

Moose