[OM] Re: New toy

Subject: [OM] Re: New toy
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:17:57 -0700
Andrew Dacey wrote:

>I tried the auto crop but it didn't do a very good job. I think that
>Vuescan needs to know the dimensions of the film holder to get an
>accurate auto crop for batch scanning and Ed may not have that
>information for the 9950F where it's a newer scanner.

Some time ago, I helped Ed with setting up those dimensions for the
5000F by scanning the whole platen with film holder in place with film
in it so he could get the dimensions right. I know he was working with
other(s) on the 9950F at that time. I heard on a fourm that he had it
working. You might drop him a line. He is incredibly responsive with help.

I think what you want for a flatbed with multiple frames at once is not
Auto Crop. In the Input tab, select Mode: Transparency. A new box
labeled Film Holder then appears with selections for the various film
holders that come with the scanner. At least on the 5000F, they are very
accurate. That may deal with your problem of getting only the images,
and not the holder, in the scan.

> <snip>
>
>Yes. I think you had it backwards though, I was saying Vuescan was
>much faster than Scangear.

Nope, I understood, I was just mouthing off about how to make batch
scanning less time consuming in VueScan.

>However, I have 1 theory that may explain a
>few things. The scanner's resolution is listed as 4800x9600ppi. I
>suspect that the Canon software is scanning at this full resolution
>and then downsampling the image to 4800x4800ppi. I think that Vuescan
>is only doing 4800x4800 with no downsampling. That would explain the
>slower speed but also why I'm seeing less noise in the Canon images.

CanoScan may be doing some noise reduction too. They are tricky devils.
VueScan also has a noise reduciton feature, but I've never used it.

>><snip>
>>
>Something that just occurred to me is that I wonder if it's possible
>to do a raw scan the entire film holder (30 frames in the case of 35mm
>strips) and then split up the file later.

NO, NO, better than that! You can batch scan the whole 30 frames into
separate files, RAW and/or TIFF and/or JPEG, all at once and unattended.

>I'm not sure if there would be any time savings in this or not. Or if there
>would be a negative
>impact on the quality. Both Vuescan and Scangear scan each image individually.

Nope, once you pick a film holder with multiple frames, the Batch Scan
option boxes will appear. You have never seen them with the FS2710 (I
know, cause I have one) because it can't do batch scanning. With the
FS4000, which can scan a strip of 6 frames or four slides automatically,
the VueScan input window has batch options. I just set Batch to All and
walk away for a bit while it scans all of them into separate files. So
get out of Mode: Flatbed and into Mode: Transparency, then select the
proper film holder. You will find a whole new world. I told you Vue Scan
is a complex thingie!

Moose