[OM] Re: Good quality 3rd party lenses!

Subject: [OM] Re: Good quality 3rd party lenses!
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:48:28 EDT
You've already been pointed to Gary's site, which he lists tests of some 3rd
party lenses, and I can't speak specifically about too many wide angle choices
as I mostly shoot no wider than 24mm, but in general, for normal and zoom
ranges The Vivitar Series 1, Tokina,Tamron, and some Kirons are very good
quality
lenses. I generally avoid names such as Zykkor, Samyang, Phoenix, altho the
"Phoenix" name seems to have been on some terrible as well as some good lenses
over the years, depending on what company really made those. I also had a
couple of "bad" Sigmas, and will avoid them, but some people really like them.
Of
course, we may be talking about purchasing lenses that are 30 years old, so
one sample will certainly vary in their looks as well as performance from
another. This is also true for our beloved Zuikos, and you should only purchase
from
a seller that allows returns. Buy and sell off these internet lists or a
camera shop, ebay should be one's last choice, IMO. I've seen some good
bargains
on 3rd parties from KEH and Cameta Camera in the $29- $39 range. You will see
that many of these 3rd party lenses are bigger and heavier than Zuikos however.

George S.

P.S.- Just a smple from Cameta's email from yesterday, I have no connection
to them other than being a satisfied customer....

    Olympus Mount Sigma 100mm-200mmf4.5 One-Touch Macro(1:4.5) Ser.#915163
With
    Built In Lens Hood(E++/Clean Glass/Well Made ­ Very Sharp) $19.

    Olympus Mount Tokina EL 28mmf2.8 Ser.#8414200 With Original Lens
Caps(Solid
    Mint-/Perfect Glass/Well Made Very Sharp Lens) $29.

    Olympus Mount Zykkor 35mm-135mmf3.5 One-Touch Macro(1:4)
    Ser.#719090(Mint-/Clean Glass) $19.

    Olympus OM Series Power Winder By Rokunar(Boxed/New) $35.  have 2
available

>> Is there  a website that contains a very good up to date list of all the
good
     3rd party  lenses for the OM system?
     I mean you can buy loads on ebay but how good or  bad are they really?

     Especcially the expensive Zuiko's like the 16mm,  8mm, 20mm, 24mm ect. I
bet
     there are very good replacements, maybe better, for  less money?