[OM] Re: C-8080 first impressions

Subject: [OM] Re: C-8080 first impressions
From: "Paul Braun" <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:47:38 -0500
On 15 Aug 2005 at 18:09, Walt Wayman wrote:

> My wife, who had a C*n*n F-1 when I married her, then was reeducated and had
> her very own OM-4 before she decided "serious" photography wasn't really her
> cup of tea and all that much fun, has had a bit of trouble adapting to her
> new Stylus 800.  Since it has no viewfinder, she spent the first few days
> putting nose prints on the LCD screen before recalling the absence of such an
> expected feature.  She took a bit of umbrage when I opined that it was
> strictly a chimper's camera; however, she soon got over it and
now really likes the little thing.

My wife is a little jealous of my incoming E1, and since she's going
on a trip to Vegas with her girlfriends in 3 weeks to celebrate her
birthday, I thought I'd get her something newer than her old 1.3mp
Fuji, so I started digging around (budget $200 or less) looking for a
birthday present.

All of the current Stylii do lack the optical VF, and too many of the
small P&S's just feel cheesy.  While I didn't want a brick, I did
want it to have a little heft.

So, after going to three local stores, playing with a number of
different brands and models, and then spending another two hours on
dpreview and Steve's Digicams, I came to the conclusion that the
Stylus 410 was a winner.  Form factor we're familiar with (I do have
4 film Stylii), excellent image quality, and will fit in her purse
when she's in Vegas.  I just wish it were black -- I really hate the
current style trend (both in cameras and electronics) towards making
them "bling bling" (a term I despise) and shiny.  I don't want my
camera to stick out like a flare -- I want the dang thing to be
discreet.

For what she's doing, 4mp is fine.  I'm going to pick up a refurb
from Olympus on e*ay this afternoon, and order a 512mb xd card from
Newegg as well.

Paul Braun  WD9GCO
cygnus at ctgonline.org
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever." -- David St. Hubbins