[OM] Re: [OM][OT] Bicycle advice

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM][OT] Bicycle advice
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:44:34 -0700
I would second Winsor's recommendation for a folder (or other alternative
bike). I have a Bike Friday that I'm very happy with. But the
incompatibility between skinny high pressure tires and gravel roads is even
greater with small diameter tires. Other than that it will perform as well
as a conventional drop handle bar road bike.

If the chain falling off was the biggest problem folding it, I noticed B.F.
has an accessory that is supposed to prevent that. I haven't tried it. Other
than the chain falling off, I find it very easy to fold. Even when not
folding it, the small size is a plus.

For regular commuting I would recommend a recumbent. Sitting up with
minimized wind resistance is very pleasurable. Typically you can't load a
recumbent with as much gear as a conventional bike even though they tend to
be long. Speed and comfort are where they excel.

I also agree that building a bike from pieces is very expensive.

-jeff

snip