[OM] Re: New toy

Subject: [OM] Re: New toy
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:31:31 -0700
Andrew Dacey wrote:

>On 8/15/05, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Some time ago, I helped Ed with setting up those dimensions for the
>>5000F by scanning the whole platen with film holder in place with film
>>in it so he could get the dimensions right. I know he was working with
>>other(s) on the 9950F at that time. I heard on a fourm that he had it
>>working. You might drop him a line. He is incredibly responsive with help.
>>

>I'll have to check on that. When I first selected the film strip
>holder it didn't even have the proper number of frames showing (it
>wanted to do 4x6 instead of 5x6).

Sounds like the template for the 9900F, not the 9950F

>>CanoScan may be doing some noise reduction too. They are tricky devils.
>>VueScan also has a noise reduciton feature, but I've never used it.
>>

>This is true. Either way, they're doing something that cuts down on
>the noise. Turning on multi-sampling clears up the noise. I'm using 4
>samples at the moment but I'll give 2 a try to see if that will give
>good results since that would speed up the scanning a bit.
>
><snip rant about Canoscan>
>
>So as much as I may be complaining about Vuescan, when I look at the
>alternative (Scangear) it's no contest.

I never even looked at the software for the FS4000.

>It's just a matter of me being
>used to getting incredible scans from Vuescan that didn't need
>much/any work afterwards.

Without a curves tool in VueScan, my neg scans without profiles on the
FS2710 have always needed some work in PS. I have some actions to
automate it.

>As it is, simply adjusting the sliders for
>red, green and blue separately and then shifting the midtone slider
>for RGB gives me a great scan.

The right click for neutral may save some time on a lot of scans.

> <big snip>
>
>I've ironed out the basics now. I think I'm at a point where it's as
>good as it'll get until I can do film profiles. So now I just need to
>fish out my blower bulb (dust is really the enemy with a flatbed
>because you've got 4 surfaces to worry about instead of 2 with a film
>scanner) and get cracking on some scans.

Have you tried the FARE hardware dust removal? The i-photo reviews
showed it to work at least as well as the ICE on other brands of scanner
and much faster. It works very well on the FS4000 in VueScan. It does
take a second pass for IR on the FS4000, but the time is more than worth
it vs. spotting. The results are generally so clean that I am surprised
at running into the occasional spot. I still give the films a blast with
dust-off, but don't sweat it like with the FS2710.

Moose