[OM] Re: 9950 FARE performance, was: New toy

Subject: [OM] Re: 9950 FARE performance, was: New toy
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:04:10 -0400
Moose wrote:

> Have you tried the FARE hardware dust removal? The i-photo reviews
> showed it to work at least as well as the ICE on other brands of scanner
> and much faster. It works very well on the FS4000 in VueScan. It does
> take a second pass for IR on the FS4000, but the time is more than worth
> it vs. spotting. The results are generally so clean that I am surprised
> at running into the occasional spot. I still give the films a blast with
> dust-off, but don't sweat it like with the FS2710.

I'm curious about this as well, especially whether it works with
Kodachrome.  I have a fair number of Kodachrome slides suffering from
mold problems and badly spotted.  Everything I've read about IR dust and
spot removal indicates that the Kodachrome emulsion is not friendly to
IR and thus the technique doesn't work at all or else works poorly with
Kodachrome.

Piers, however, has shown us some of his work on old Kodachrome slides
run through the ICE on his Nikon (model?).  They have been remarkably
cleaned up.  He promised to do a test scan for me and I have been remiss
in not sending him one for the test.

Anyhow, I could really use a much better flat bed scanner than I have
and the 9950 would probably also do a better film scanning job than my
Acer 2720s.  Whatever I buy for the next film scanner will have ICE or
FARE and I'll buy whatever is able to best deal with the old, spotted
Kodachromes as there is a lot of history there needing recovery.

ps:  And thanks to whomever mentioned cleaning up with PEC-12.  I bought
some but haven't had the guts to try it yet on those old slides.

Chuck Norcutt