[OM] Help! In the middle of scanning, I'm drowning, going down for 3rd t

Subject: [OM] Help! In the middle of scanning, I'm drowning, going down for 3rd time . . .
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:13:52 EDT
Well, it really isn't life or death.  Perhaps sanity or insanity, but  I hope
I got your attention.

I'm trying to scan some B&W negatives to send to a news letter on the
Internet. I've scanned it in 48 bit color, I've adjusted the hue, contrast, etc
 and
have it to where it looks like I want it to look, however it looks a bit
jagged and some had suggested converting it back to 8 bit grayscale to do final

spotting and I guess sharpening.  How do I go to 8 bit grayscale from 48  bit
color? I know how to spot, sharpen and size for the web, it is just the
conversion to grayscale that has me puzzled right now. I have my image  opened
at
my stuck point now.  Any suggestions? I'm sure this is  simple, just not when
it is your first time.  Bill Barber