[OM] Re: Help! In the middle of scanning, I'm drowning, going down for 3

Subject: [OM] Re: Help! In the middle of scanning, I'm drowning, going down for 3rd time . . .
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:36:56 -0700
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Well, it really isn't life or death.  Perhaps sanity or insanity, but  I hope
>I got your attention.
>
>I'm trying to scan some B&W negatives to send to a news letter on the
>Internet. I've scanned it in 48 bit color, I've adjusted the hue, contrast,
>etc  and
>have it to where it looks like I want it to look, however it looks a bit
>jagged and some had suggested converting it back to 8 bit grayscale to do
>final
>spotting and I guess sharpening.  How do I go to 8 bit grayscale from 48  bit
>color? I know how to spot, sharpen and size for the web, it is just the
>conversion to grayscale that has me puzzled right now. I have my image  opened
>at
>my stuck point now.  Any suggestions? I'm sure this is  simple, just not when
>it is your first time.

Where are you, other than Texas? If in PS, Image=>Mode=>Grayscale, then
Image=>Mode=>8 bits/channel. That should be the better order.

There are better, more flexible, ways to do the conversion to B&W where
you can adjust the effective color response. But it sounds like this is
quick and dirty work. Why not just scan in grayscale?

Moose