[OM] Re: C-8080 first impressions

Subject: [OM] Re: C-8080 first impressions
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:23:52 +0100
Winsor Crosby wrote:

> I did a lot of looking at people's pictures on dpreview when I was
> considering that camera. Lots of overexposed pictures. A couple of
> guys with beautiful portfolios and EXIF information had turned off
> the ESP metering. They used the center weighted option and set
> exposure compensation to minus 1/3 or minus 2/3. You might try that.

I had a longer look at it last night.

It has ESP, spot, multi-spot, or centre-weighted. But the multi-spot
seems to be a bit of a misnomer as there doesn't appear to be any way of
controlling which multi spots it takes the exposure reading off, making
it utterly pointless! And the spot metering it only OK if you want that
spot to be right in the centre (unlike the 2SP); and the centre-weighted
likewise.

If it were mine, I'd certainly be tempted to leave it on centre-weighted
and make my own adjustments in the good old OM-1/2 way. But again, it's
just not really designed like that. And furthermore, you can't take a
centre-weighted reading off something else, set it up, and then point it
at the desired subject, which is a very useful technique with the crude
metering on the OM-1/2.

On reflection, I think it's better to just accept it's a glorified P&S
with a good lens, and use it as such, rather than trying to fight it and
turn it into something it isn't.

Regards,

Simon