[OM] Re: 9950 FARE performance, was: New toy

Subject: [OM] Re: 9950 FARE performance, was: New toy
From: "Geilfuss Charles" <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:06:45 -0500
Chuck,
        Re: PEC-12   Go ahead and take the plunge. I was leary at first also
but after cleaning about a dozen slides I have found it to be safe. Hell the
Smithonian uses this stuff so it must be OK. I started out by selecting a few
of the least desirable images as test subjects. These include both pre-1959
Kodachrome and a few really aweful Anscochrome slides (an early E-6 slide film
from Agfa) that have not held up nearly as well as the Kodachrome.
        I used the following procedure: Find a well ventilated place to work;
this stuff is potent. I used a clean polypropylene cutting board as a work
surface. Using an Exacto knife I slit the cardboard mount and remove the
transparency. Remove any dust with compressed air. Lay a clean PEC Pad on the
board and place 1-2 drops PEC-12 on a second pad. Use a circular motion to
clean both sides of the film. If really dirty you may have to clean a second
time with another corner of the pad. After cleaning, the film will dry in about
5-10 seconds. If you use too much cleaner it will leave a haze, but it is
easily removed by cleaning again with a tiny bit of PEC-12. Replace in a new
mount. That's it.
        The manufacturer claims it will remove ay non-water soluble material
without harming the film. The older Kodachrome was coated with a lacquer which
is where the dirt accumulates. Some of my slides have fungus growth as well. On
the Kodachromes, it is growing on the lacquer layer and once removed there is
no trace of fungus. The anscochrome has no lacquer so the fungus is on the
emulsiom. The PEC-12 will remove the fungus but it leaves a colorless area on
the film were the fungus has damaged the emulsion.

Charlie