[OM] Re: [OM][OT] Bicycle advice

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM][OT] Bicycle advice
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:34:23 -0300
On 8/16/05, Daniel J. Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Fundamentally, if you have a nice bike shop, then your best bet is
> to ignore everything you hear on the internet and talk to them.
> They're the people that'll be building it for you, they're the people
> that you'll go to for service, they can see how the bike fits you in
> person when we can only guess, etc.

This is true. I went in to take a peek at their stuff on Saturday and
they were nice but suggested that I get an idea of what I'm looking
for and to then come back and we'd work it out. I think this makes
good sense, I suspect they end up having to deal with far too many
people who just come in and say, "yeah I want a bike". Now I have that
firmed up much more (thanks to a lot of good advice from the list) and
am probably at the point where I could go in and work out the details.

>  Note that you'll have a hard time buying a cheap second-hand frame
> -- cheap second-hand _bike_, yes, but any time someone's gone to the
> effort to strip the parts from the frame, it's because it's had
> expensive parts on it and so is probably an expensive frame too.

Yes. I will be buying a used bike (from the shop) which the shop will
replace some of the parts. I was simply breaking down the parts for
convenience in the emails.