[OM] Re: Scanner progress

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner progress
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 00:08:08 -0300
On 8/16/05, Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks. I've got some time this evening to play with the scanner some
> more so I'll try to put some samples online. Planning to do up a page
> with a before shot, screenshots of the histogram (in PS) and then an
> after shot after I've made the adjustments in PS.

Well I did have time to play with the scanner tonight but not enough
time to get the page up, should be able to put it up tomorrow.

Ran into one problem with Vuescan. With the 9950F it uses a 2nd pass
for the infrared dust removal (not sure if other scanners do it in a
single pass). That's not a big deal but it seems that if you choose
multi-sampling it uses that multi-sampling setting for the infrared
pass as well which I don't think does very much other than just
slowing down the infrared pass. I've emailed Ed mentioning this so
hopefully it can be fixed in later versions.

I will say that batch scanning with all these options on is very slow!
64-bit RGBI scanning with 4 samples on 24 frames (5 strips of 5 frames
and 1 strip of 4 frames) has taken several hours to complete (still
going as I write this). Granted I'm doing a few things that would
impede the performance. For starters, I'm outputting both raw and tiff
files because I want to play with different levels of dust correction
for the page I'll put up but I want the tiffs for some scans to use. I
think the best way to handle this level of batch work would be to just
output the raw files and then run them all through colour correction
and dust removal as a batch job later.

That said, it's not that the scanner has poor performance when it
comes to speed it's just that scanning a frame with these kinds of
settings takes awhile and then scanning 24 frames with those settings
in a batch just makes it that much worse. It's great that you can just
leave the scanner going and do other things though while it plods
through this. With the 2710 I'd have to be nearby to change frames
every x number of minutes because it had no batch capabilities.