[OM] Re: Anyone tried one of these?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anyone tried one of these?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:17:55 -0700
R. Jackson wrote:

>http://www.plustek.com/products/film.htm

Did you read the reviews linked to on the site? Not exactly laudatory. :-)

First one says it doesn't measure up to the others tested. To get less
detail with much larger files doesn't sound too attractive. A 24x36mm
frame at 7200 dpi is 208MB!!! DMax ok, but not great. "build quality
reflects the price" Also much slower than others without dust removal
and REALLY slow with it.

Second review: "In tests, the unit almost always produced better results
than our test flatbed scanner, though there were occasions when the
Epson Perfection 2400 Photo delivered better images from a negative" The
Epson 2400 is not a gem for film. The newer flatbeds are much better.

Third review: My German isn't very good, but I can read where it says
the Plustek doesn't reach its theoretical resolution, but is at about
the same resolution as the Minolta Dual Scan IV, about 3200 dpi

Comments and some questions I would want answers to before considering it:

- Looks like price and decent results are the selling points.

- 48 bit sounds great, but with DMax of 3.3, that's mostly just empty bits.

- One obvious flaw is that dust removal makes the already quite slow
scan time positively glacial.

- One thing that is not specificially mentioned on the Plustek site or
in the English reviews is whether it will batch scan a holder of film.
Physically, it doesn't look like it, and I'm sure Plustek would say so
if it did. I'm sure I wouldn't like to come back every 8-9 minutes to
advance the frame.

- Nowhere does it say whether the dust removal is IR using hardware or
software only. Software only just doesn't work well. Again, their specs
don't mention it, so I bet there is no IR dust removal.

- Does it scan at 3200 effective resolution when set to 3200 dpi? If
that is so and brings the scan times and file sizes down, it would be a
big plus.

Bottom line, it looks like is is about equal to the last generation of
name brand scanners, about 3000 dpi, 3.3-3.5 DMax, no batch scanning, no
IR dust removal. It does have USB 2.0, which they don't have. For under
$200, might be worth a look.

Moose