[OM] Re: Anyone tried one of these?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anyone tried one of these?
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:32:39 -0700

On Aug 16, 2005, at 8:17 PM, Moose wrote:

> Did you read the reviews linked to on the site? Not exactly
> laudatory. :-)
>
> First one says it doesn't measure up to the others tested. To get less
> detail with much larger files doesn't sound too attractive.

No? But I thought the numbers were all-important? 7200 dpi is the
selling point, right? Who cares if it can resolve less detail than a
5-year-old 2400 dpi machine as long as the files are huge and I can
tell my friends I have a 7200 dpi machine! ;-)

> - One thing that is not specificially mentioned on the Plustek site or
> in the English reviews is whether it will batch scan a holder of film.

It doesn't. That's mentioned in the Practical Photography review.

I mostly forwarded the link because it's kind of funny to me that
numbers are such a big selling point in so many kinds of gear
anymore, even if the functionality isn't there. Faster CPU, more
megapixels, higher dpi...gotta have it. Who cares if the benchmarks
show it to be inferior to a machine with less impressive numbers?