[OM] Re: Is Olympus going bankrupt? Am I a creditor?

Subject: [OM] Re: Is Olympus going bankrupt? Am I a creditor?
From: Earl Dunbar <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:32:08 -0400
I think sales tax(es) apply to the initial purchase price, before
rebates, no matter where you are.  The same is true in all provinces; if
the tax is not harmonized (i.e., PST + GST), it's the same.

Here, even if there is an "instant" rebate (i.e., rebate at time of
purchase, applied to purchase), I think sales tax is calculated on
original (pre-rebate) purchase price.  Now that's where I have a
problem.  I don't expect a post purchase rebate to give me back some of
the sales tax.  But an instant rebate is different, in my mind.

Earl