[OM] Basic (dumb) T-series / Shutter speed question

Subject: [OM] Basic (dumb) T-series / Shutter speed question
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:10:52 -0700
When a T32 is put on an OM4/4T in TTL mode with the camera set to Auto, the
double arrow on the viewfinder display points to a shutter speed of 60.

I know that the camera can sync at 1/60 or slower (ignoring the F280).  My
question is this:

Does the camera set the shutter speed to 1/60 or is this a reminder that YOU
should set the speed to 1/60?

I looked through the archives and through the SIF FAQ.  The FAQ indicated
that on an OM2n to shoot at slower than 1/60 you needed to cover the flash
ready contact otherwise the camera was going to use 1/60.

So the other question, assuming that a TTL compatible flash puts the shutter
to 1/60, which bodies does it do it to?

My confusion comes from page B-29 of the OM4 manual (B)

Quote:

1: With shutter speeds set to 1/60 or slower, the flash fires automatically
at the flash synchronizing speed of 1/60.

2: With shutter speeds faster than 1/60 sec, the flash does not fire and
exposure is effected on TTL direct light metering.

My first reading of that says "what the f."

Reading my T32 manual page 10:

If the signal stays lit (the T32 did not fire):

The subject is bright enough and the picture was taken properly by existing
light.  The flash light was not needed

* In case exposure must be achieved by flash illumination, Turn the aperture
ring until the meter needle points to 1/30 sec or slower, and shoot.

So does this all mean that the T flash (in TTL mode, camera in auto) is
"suggesting" to the camera it should set the shutter speed at 1/60 but if
there is sufficient light at the moment the shutter is tripped, the camera
might set the shutter speed higher and not trigger flash at all?

Jay Drew

Hand me my costume

Please won't you pass me my mask

I have appointments I must keep with my past.

Bill Nelson - Beauty Secrets