[OM] Re: C-8080 first impressions

Subject: [OM] Re: C-8080 first impressions
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 07:55:19 -0500
At 04:26 PM 8/15/2005 -0300, you wrote:
>As to the C8080, does anyone have both this and the C5050, that can offer
>some comparison? I'm wondering if the C8080 has enough to offer over the
>C5050 to be worth considering.
>Wayne

Within the family we now have C5060, C8080, and E-1.

If you like the C5050, I would probably now suggest just jumping to an
Evolt or E-1 if you can find one.  The thing I find superior about the
C8080 to the C5060 is the EVF, which you love and hate.  But you see what
you get and it's useful for framing and composing without having to chimp
to do it.  My son doesn't think it's a modern camera if you don't chimp to
compose, so he loves the C5060, but I'm old, as he constantly reminds me.

The extra pixels aren't so important IMO.  With either camera it is
probably going to be more important to be able to shoot good SHQ jpgs,
because RAW is just slow and inconvenient.  Fortunately it is very easy to
get jpgs of the highest quality with either camera.  I suppose the C8080
does make a better, because larger, SHQ file with its sensor.

The on board flash is marginally superior on the C8080 (being a little
higher off the lens perhaps).

The lens on the C8080 is definitely bigger and better and you get an
inkling of what the E series partisans enjoy.  The wide teleconverter for
the C8080 is also fantastic.

Joel W.