[OM] Re: One for S:t Adams -- a step by step

Subject: [OM] Re: One for S:t Adams -- a step by step
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:45:39 -0300
On 8/18/05, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are you talking PSCS+ here? I thought their photographic filters were
> supposed to mimic the actual spectral response of the various physical
> filters. I've only used a couple of the 8x series, and they seem to be
> right.

I think AG was refering to the method of converting to grayscale by
using only a single colour channel (Red in this case).

If you use that method then you do get a 100% red filter which wasn't
used in the film world.

I tend to prefer to use the channel mixer set to monochrome, that way
you can use any mix of all 3 channels to create a custom B&W look. I
tend to favor mixing the Red and Green channels which I guess would be
roughly equivalent to working with various levels of Green,
Yellow-Green, Yellow, Orange or Red filters in the film world. The
Blue filter tends to be the noisest channel and I find it doesn't tend
to have the details I want in it. Sometimes I even set it to a
negative number. Noise aside, it's also the end of the spectrum where
you tend to get haze so cutting it out can help eliminate that as
well.

But the fun part of using the channel mixer is that you can play
around and see what you like. The next shot I convert to B&W might end
up being perfectly suited to using the Blue channel and it's great to
have all that choice and control.

That said, I still like the look of traditional B&W and tend to shoot
it for when I want B&W. I find that if I know I'm shooting for B&W I
think differently about the shots. I also find that using a colored
filter on the lens helps me to better visualize B&W. Yes, you're still
seeing colour but the filter cuts out most of the colours and lets you
focus more on just light and dark.