[OM] Re: Is Olympus going bankrupt? Am I a creditor?

Subject: [OM] Re: Is Olympus going bankrupt? Am I a creditor?
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:33:29 EDT
Interstate commerce clause, if there is one, can't apply, or there'd be NO
taxes ever  collected for inter-state transactions, only intra-state ones.

OM content: About 20 years ago I bought a brand new OM-4T and an OM case or
bag, I forget exactly, from B&H. The salesman winked at me and said "There's no
sales tax on mail orders out of state." So I took the camera with me and he
held onto the case, had it shipped to my home across the river in New Jersey,
(but I guess he fudged HIS documents to state he was shipping BOTH). Guess
what? A year later I get an official letter from N.Y. State threatening to
prosecute me if I didn't immediately fork over the sales tax that was due to
them and
they had all the details of my particular part of B&H's scam in that letter.
I don't know HOW they, or B&H for that matter, had accurate records of what
transactions were actually part of this scam, maybe the salesman was part of an
undercover operation that NY State had run?! Needless to say, I sent a check.
Lesson learned.

George S.

informationwincros@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Doesn't the national law renewed a couple of years ago banning
taxation of net transactions supersede state law? Interstate commerce
clause I think. I believe it was originally passed to encourage
internet commerce and renewed to stimulate the economy.

Sorry if this has been mentioned. Fooled by the Subject.