[OM] Re: Woohoo! It's here!!!

Subject: [OM] Re: Woohoo! It's here!!!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:09:10 -0700
bs.pearce@xxxxxxx wrote:

>I don't think the kit lens with his was IS.

If it is 17-85mm, it is IS. That's both the only version of that fl that
Can*n makes, but is the one they include in more expensive kits with the
20D and 350D. Sells by itself for $549 at B&H, so it may have all glass
elements and at least single coating. Kit with 20D is $1,830. The kit
with the 18-55 is the price kit at $1,400.

>I suspect it is all plastic, including mount and elements. Perhaps not even
>coated, to save costs? They've nothing left to cut on these kit lenses.

OK, so the price leader kit lenses are cheaply built, most reports are
that they are optically pretty good. However, the 17-85 IS is not in
that category.

>Did someone post there were E300 two lens kits for $200, or was I
>hallucinating? That wouuld get me into digital today!

Where do I sign UP??

Moose