[OM] Re: result of slide to digital using E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: result of slide to digital using E-1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:25:59 -0700
David Irisarri wrote:

>Hey great trial!!!
>
><snip> I am fed up with my LS-4000 and its low depth of field. All my slides
>always are out of focus.

I know the Nik*ns have shallow depth of field, one reason I didn't buy
one. On the other hand, it seems most users get sharp results over most
of the frame most of the time. Have you considered that yours may simply
be out of adjustment or defective and in need of servicing?

>I can imagine taking photos to 500 slides and the process all of them in
>Phase ONE C1, wow!!!! Ultrafaaaasst.

But how good? At 2560x1920 pixels for 4:3 ratio, The E-1 works out to
1800 dpi copying the full 36 mm width of 35 mm film, 2000 dpi if cropped
to 24x32 mm. That will leave a lot of the detail on the film behind.
More than enough for the web and enough for modest sized prints,
although I wonder how they would look compared to those from higher
resolution scans.

There's lots of different opinions of how much scanner resolution is
needed to capture all the detail on film, but the lower end is somewhere
around 4000 dpi.

I'm not trying to say that you will or won't be happy with the results.
Just doing the kind of analysis I would do for myself before undertaking
the project.

Moose