[OM] Digital Black and White

Subject: [OM] Digital Black and White
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:03:18 -0700
I don't remember if this column of a few months ago by Mike Johnston
was discussed. The first part is about some Mac software that is
evidently very capable in the black and white conversion business,
but I thought the second part was more interesting. MIS has modified
their Ultrachrome inks and packaged them so that the cartridges can
be installed in really cheap 4 color Epson C82, C84, and C86
printers. Evidently the ink is balanced to the printer software and
needs no special profiles. There is a base matte or gloss black and
the three colors are replaced by either a neutral or warm tone set of
grays. Carbon based inks. They give a list of about a dozen
compatible papers. He is a black and white guy and a darkroom guy. He
says this is the first time he is really enthusiastic about the ease
and appearance of digital black and white printing. Printer,
cartridges and your own Epson paper for about a $100. Certainly
sounds like a fun thing for not very much money. Archival too.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-april-05.shtml

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA