[OM] Re: New Base for OM Lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: New Base for OM Lenses
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:32:40 -0400
Moose wrote:

> Earl Dunbar wrote:
>

>>Well doesn't that just shake things up a bit...
>>

> Certainly does for me. I've been debating with myself whether to buy a
> super wide for the 1.6x sensors, thinking my next body would likely have
> one. If the 5D does indeed settle in at about $2,500, as someone
> suggested, it might be a bargain for some people. With the cheapest of
> the really wide lenses for 1.5-1.6x sensors going for $500, that's half
> the price difference over a 20D right there. There are also as yet very
> few primes lenses in that area and they aren't inexpensive either. The
> small sensors were obsoleting my wide lenses. With a (semi?) reasonably
> priced full frame sensor, the 18, 21 and 24 mm Zuikos and the 19-35 zoom
> are suddenly really useful again.

So the next question is how good are the very wide lenses on full frame
digital sensors?  I don't recall seeing any coverage of that.  Do we run
into the problem of not having "telecentric" lenses as Oly maintains?

Ooops!  Faulty memory.  I just went back and looked at the 1Ds review in
dpreview <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1ds/page16.asp> and
see that he points out some chroma at 28 and 17mm around high contrast
areas near the edge of the field.  Also reminds folks that their full
frame lenses likely show some vignetting that doesn't show on a smaller
sensor.  Well, I assume PhotoShop will deal with the chroma and the
vignetting if necessary.

Chuck Norcutt
http://www.chucknorcutt.com/