[OM] Re: New Base for OM Lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: New Base for OM Lenses
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:45:01 -0400
Andreas Pirner wrote:

> Moose wrote:

>>Certainly does for me. I've been debating with myself whether to buy a
>>super wide for the 1.6x sensors, thinking my next body would likely have
>>one. If the 5D does indeed settle in at about $2,500, as someone
>>suggested, it might be a bargain for some people. With the cheapest of
>>the really wide lenses for 1.5-1.6x sensors going for $500, that's half
>>the price difference over a 20D right there. There are also as yet very
>>few primes lenses in that area and they aren't inexpensive either. The
>>small sensors were obsoleting my wide lenses. With a (semi?) reasonably
>>priced full frame sensor, the 18, 21 and 24 mm Zuikos and the 19-35 zoom
>>are suddenly really useful again.
>

> A little caution seems to be applied: The review
> from my local info broker (text in German --
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/63078)
> states that this camera still has the problem
> with significant vignetting, when used with
> (ultra) wide angle lenses, since the sensor
> still cannot cope with rays not coming in
> straight, but angled. May be a serious drawback.

Compare the 1Ds with 28-70 2.8 at 28/2.8
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1ds/page16.asp>

with the E-1 with 14-54 2.8 at 14/2.8
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse1/page17.asp>

The 1Ds review images are a darker gray overall than the E-1 images.
After pulling them into PhotoShop and adjusting the balance between the
two I think the far corners of the 1Ds image are a stop or two darker
than the corners of the E-1 image.  However, if you crop to a 5x7 ratio
the vignetting is about the same and, at a 4/3 ratio  like the E-1, the
1Ds actually exhibits less vignetting.

Chuck Norcutt
http://www.chucknorcutt.com