[OM] Re: Polarizer question

Subject: [OM] Re: Polarizer question
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:39:01 -0700

>>  From my perspective, the need for a polarizer dropped precipitously
>> with the advent of digital processing.

While I agree that PS has taken over some of the duties of the polarizer
I still like to use one. There is no getting around the fact that a
polarizer actually changes the physics of the light striking the film.
PS can darken skies in a super wide angle shot without the charteristic
banding of a polarizer but PS can't tell from the pixels how to filter
out the reflected part of the light. Polarized skies just look more
dramatic and foliage is sharper and crisper. I think haze causes a lot
of bouncing around of light and a pol is able to cut through this giving
that clear atmosphere which we probably don't actually have.

Mike
(who prefers to see the world through polarized glasses)