[OM] Re: New Base for OM Lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: New Base for OM Lenses
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:34:22 -0300
On 8/23/05, AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And the 5D will be positioned as such that a large percentage of
> 20D owners will jump.  This, of course, will drive down the
> resale price of 20D kits which means I might be able to pick one
> up for an affordable price.  But, for right now, I still have a
> problem following the masses.

I noticed on dpreview's preview of the 5D there are some features that
are actually better on the 20D. Noticeably, the 20D has a faster
capture rate (5fps for the 20D, 3fps for the 5D) and also a higher
sync speed (250 for the 20D, 200 for the 5D). My guess is that this is
in order to keep the 5D from eating into the 1Ds mkII's sales too much
but it also means that the 20D retains a couple of advantages too so
they can try to keep sales going on it as well (although I'd expect to
see a price drop on the 20D as long as that doesn't put it too close
to Digital Rebel territory). I would have liked to have seen dpreview
include the the 1Ds mkII in that features comparison.

Personally, this is a very tempting body. I don't tend to shoot wide
that much but I like having the option without having to deal with a
multiplication factor (yes, the LWMNBN and other offerings for other
systems are designed to give you a wide angle view and may do it
better than a full-frame wide). What I really like though is the fact
that with a full frame sensor you can get depth of field control. I've
been really enjoying shooting wide open with my 35/2, 50/1.4 and 85/2.
On a C*n*n body with the 1.6x factor I'd need to be able to open up 1
full stop to get roughly the same DoF for the same FoV. For my 85mm
length I can pull that off with the 50/1.4 but I'd need a 35/1 to get
the same DoF as the 50/1.4 wide open on 35mm and a 24/1.4 to get the
same DoF as the 35/2. With the 4/3 system it's a 2 stop adjustment so
I'd need a 50/1 and a 35/0.7!