[OM] Re: olympus Digest V2 #235

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V2 #235
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:43:44 -0700
>From: alfredo pagliano <alfredo_pag@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: New Base for OM Lenses
>Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:43:00 +0200
>
>Tried on an old EOS 1D of a friend my Distagon 28 f/2.8 trough an
>adapter and experienced high vignetting and loss of image sharpness at
>about 80% of the radius, and the lens is not to blame.
>
>Alfredo

HI Alfredo.
I am not exactly sure what you're getting at with this statement...I
apologize if I am confused.  What conclusions should someone draw
conclusions about the performance of a camera using an *adapter* and
a lens that was not designed for it?

  I honestly can't tell if you're intimating that there are issues
with a 'old' 1D with respect to image quality and sharpness, but I've
owned and have been using one extensively for 2.5 years now, and have
put  at least 70,000 frames through mine; and I would say, arguably,
that I have more real world, field experience with one than anyone
else here, and my extensive experience with it has left me with the
firm conviction that is truly excellent camera with superior image
quality.  On the whole, it is the best camera I have ever owned. I
have used a number of different Canon lenses on it, ranging from a
17-40L to a 500/4 L and 600/4 L, as well as the incredible Canon
200/1.8L,  Granted it has been superceded by the excellent 1D MkII
and 1Ds and 1Ds MkIIs, but it remains to this day a stellar performer.

As a photographer, for me, it is still all about the print. Producing
superior prints from digital cameras is not just about the no. of
pixels in a sensor, or the sensor size. It's about good photographic
technique (ie, getting an excellent capture), great lenses, firmware
and ASIC in the camera, and a thorough understanding of image
editing, color correction, intelligent sharpening, color management,
and printing workflow.  I've produced large prints on my Epson 2200
from my 1D that that are absolutely stunning with respect to print
quality. I am particularly impressed with the  black and white image
quality I get from my 1D when printing large prints using my
Imageprint RIP.

FWIW, I downloaded the still life captured using new Canon 5D from
the Canon website, and printed it out on Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl
using a proper ICC profile using my 2200. The overall image quality,
resolution, sharpness, and naturalness of color are extremely
impressive. I just wish I had an Epson 4800 or 7800 so I could print
it out really big. I'm certain the print quality would hold up
exceptionally well with a good workflow.

Cheers,
Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!