[OM] Re: A public apology to Andrew F and to the list

Subject: [OM] Re: A public apology to Andrew F and to the list
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:12:39 +1000

On 23/08/2005, at 10:41 PM, Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:

>> Of course, there is
>> the irony paradox - can one be ironic about being ironic?
>>

> IMHO, one can be ironic for a certain purpose without being an ironic
> person.
> But if someone too frequently finds a reason for irony, this
> becomes another
> question: when does quantitative become a qualitative difference?

In my experience, irony is virtually the normal mode of speech for
the English and Australians (oh, et les Francais). We very rarely
mean exactly what we say. Consequently, murkins insist on
misunderstanding us and trying to take us seriously. Causes no end of
international problems. Invade Iraq - er, maaaaate, we though  you
were joking, right?! Can we have our troops back now?
Irony certainly improves the overall quality of a language.
AndrewF