[OM] Sensor size and shape, was: New Base for OM Lenses

Subject: [OM] Sensor size and shape, was: New Base for OM Lenses
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 07:54:46 -0400
alfredo pagliano wrote:

> Personally I would like to see a full frame or 1.3 frame DSLR with 8 Mp
> Foveon sensor and a dynamic range approaching that of negative film...
---------------------------------------

Yesterday I commented about the comparative vignetting on the dpreview
tests of the full frame 1Ds and the 4/3 E-1.  The 1Ds was certainly
showing a signficant vignette in the far corners but cropping to 5x7
made the corners about equal to the E-1 and cropping to 4/3 ratio gave a
result with no apparent vignetting.

Canon has used the 1.3 crop ratio sensor in the past but have always
maintained the 2:3 ratio of 35mm.  What's to keep Canon or someone else
with a full frame autofocus lens line from producing a 5:7 (24x33.6mm)
or 3:4 (24x32mm) ratio sensor but one which uses the full 24mm height of
35mm film?

This would get rid of much of the edge effects with wide angle lenses,
get closer to the print ratios of common prints (as Olympus claims) and
produce a smaller sensor that could be manufactured with higher yield
than the full 24x36mm size.

Also, while on the subject of sensor size, there is speculation that
Minolta will eventually produce a digital version of their Maxxum 9 film
camera as the 9D.  It has also been speculated that this camera will
have a larger sensor than the APS-C size sensor in the 7D but that the
sensor may actually have to be somewhat smaller than 24x36mm to
accommodate the anti-shake motion.  If the sensor is too large the
anti-shake motion will carry it outside the acceptable range of the
image circle.

So, here's a question.  Is the image circle design point of 4/3 lenses
large enough to accommodate anti-shake or will E-3 users have to buy new
IS lenses?

Chuck Norcutt
http://www.chucknorcutt.com