[OM] Re: New Base for OM Lenses...hmm

Subject: [OM] Re: New Base for OM Lenses...hmm
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:05:46 -0300
On 8/23/05, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For color, I tend to think folks shooting regular subjects who make that
> claim just have faulty meters. Now for many years, I've only shot Kodak
> and a couple of recent rolls of AGFA.What I've found scanning the film
> is that there is a great consistency of density at a level, and one that
> makes capturing the full tonal range rather easy, between different C41
> color films exposed at the manufacturers ratings. Maybe I'll try a
> couple of intentional overexposures side by side with rated iso shots
> some tome.

Don't forget that it could also be metering technique. Or if you have
more lattitude for overexposure than under (can't remember if you do
or not) then by slightly overexposing the film you can open up your
shadow detail more without losing the highlights. I think the
philosophy also comes from it being easier/better to print a thick
negative as opposed to a thin one.

I've got a lot of NPS negs with a mix of stuff rated at 100 (in my
OM-1n) and 160 (in the Stylus Epic), I'll have to take a look at the
negs and see how they compare. Granted that's different meters so it's
not completely a fair comparison.

> The C41 process as done by labs is highly standardized There is nothing
> remotely like the differences in home developed B&W with different
> developers, times, etc.

Yes, I know there's a standardised process but what I meant was it
wouldn't surprise me if the C41 process results in some speed loss and
that speed loss wasn't being accounted for in the film rating. I don't
know what the process is for rating a film's speed but I'm sure if
there's any way for marketing execs to exagerate the figure then they
will, such as the "3200" ISO B&W films that are really 1200 or 1600
ISO films with decent pushability.

> Then what's up with those folks shooting Velvia at different ratings?

Well probably the most common one for that is rating Velvia 50 at 40.
That's only a 1/3 stop overexposure. Most of the arguments I've read
for doing so are to tone down the saturation a bit by slightly
overexposing and/or to open up the shadows since it's such a contrasty
film.