[OM] Re: girl with digital camera

Subject: [OM] Re: girl with digital camera
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:26:27 -0400
Wayne Culberson wrote:

> This is a shot I took two days ago, taken not too far from here, from a
> small ferry boat that crosses between two islands in the Bay of Fundy.

> Her style of photography is pretty much the norm for most people now. A
> whale surfaced nearby a few times, and dolphins were surfacing around the
> boat as well. I suspect the girl with her digital was having about as much
> luck as I was capturing them. Shutter lag, even on my C5050, pretty much
> makes that impossible. The thought struck me that capturing the decisive
> moment is pretty much a thing of the past for most amateur photograhers, as
> most of them will never buy or carry the newer DSLR's. The shift to digital
> brings some advantages, and some disadvantages I guess.

But it needn't be if she reads and understands her camera's manual.  If
you go to dpreview.com and do a feature search on cameras you will find
that, even amongst sub-compact cameras, there are numerous models of
Pentax, Minolta, Casio, and Kyocera's that offer manual and fixed
(infinity) focus modes.  I suspect that most of these cameras use the
same set of ultra compact, folded Pentax optics.  As you go up the size
scale other brands like Oly, Canon etc. also offer manual focus modes.
Unfortunately for you the C-5050 isn't one of them.  Typically, in
manual focus mode the central area of the viewing screen is
automatically magnified so you can better determine focus.

Just turn off the autofocus and kill the shutter lag.  In fact, most of
these cameras have such short focal length lenses and extreme depth of
field that setting them on fixed infinity focus (presumably, actually
the hyperfocal distance) would probably produce well focused images for
95% of daylight shooting.