[OM] Re: Sensor size and shape, was: New Base for OM Lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Sensor size and shape, was: New Base for OM Lenses
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:14:15 -0400

AG Schnozz wrote:

> Nothing.  Wouldn't it be great if you could take a group
> portrait and not slap your forehead because you can't get it to
> crop to an 8x10 without chopping people in half?  Of is that
> just me that does that with 35mm cameras.

Not just you.  I have more than once expanded the canvas and cloned in
the background to fix a proportion problem for a crop.  My photo mentor
has his Canon screens custom scribed with 8x10 format lines.   I once
asked JH if he could do this as well as put in his famous rule of thirds
lines but he declined.

>>So, here's a question.  Is the image circle design point of
>>4/3 lenses large enough to accommodate anti-shake or will E-3
>>users have to buy new IS lenses?
>

> I predict Olympus will implement an electronic
> image-stabilization with no moving parts.  It'll use some form
> of underscanning like what is done with video cameras.

There was some discussion of this technique recently in another forum
(dpreview?).  Someone commented that the video technique was not
applicable to digital stills since video simply does frame shifting.
On the other hand, here's an interesting 1997 astronomy sensor
development <http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph?9705165> which is doing
electronic horizontal and vertical image shifting to compensate for
atmospheric turbulence.

Chuck Norcutt