[OM] Re: Forgot the URLs!

Subject: [OM] Re: Forgot the URLs!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:04:37 -0700
C.H.Ling wrote:

>You never had a 55/1.2 how do you know your 50/1.4 is sharper?

Sorry to be so imprecise. Let me restate:
I already have a 50/1.4 with serial number >1,100,000, which I find very
sharp. As it is only 1/2 stop slower than f1.2, I feel no need for
another lens so little faster.

In addition, the tests Gary Reese conducted on two 55/1.2 and two 50/1.4
with serial number >1,100,000 lenses show the f1.4 lenses to be sharper
overall and over a broader range of f-stops. Particularly importantly,
they test as sharper wide open, important both for focusing ease and
accuracy and for wide open shots in low light or in order to achieve
shallow DOF.

It is entirely possible for a given example of the 55/1.2 to be as sharp
or sharper than a given example of the 50/1.4 with serial number
 >1,100,000, especially as these are old lenses with different histories
and conditions. However, the odds are in favor of the f1.4 and, in my
particular case, my 50/1.4 is in close to mint condition and I am happy
with its performance.
Better?

Moose